SS Haverford Victory offered its 1940’s record collection for free this week so I did a little looking and found the passenger manifests with my fathers name and the ship he served on. During WWII my father was an Ensign Radio Operator aboard the SS Haverford Victory merchant ship. A little Google’ing and I came up with pictures of his ship.


The Victory ship (officially VC2) was 455 feet long and 62 feet wide. Her cross-compound steam turbine with double reduction gears developed 6,000 horsepower. Typically, Victorys were armed with: One 5 inch stern gun, one 3 inch bow gun and eight 20 mm machine guns. These were the next-generation Liberty Ships.

832 Haverford Victory, VC2-S-AP2/WSAT (1597)/USAT

Keel layed: May 8, 1945
Launched: June 20, 1945
Delivered: July 23, 1945
1945 HAVERFORD VICTORY, U.S. War Shipping Admin., Baltimore. (J. H. Winchester Co), troop transport.
1947 Renamed GRIPSKERK, N.V.Vereenigde Nederl. Scheeps.Maats, The Hague.
1947 Renamed MELISKERK, same owners.
1964 Renamed PERSIAN CAMBYSSES II, Marcieria Cia Nav., Piraeus..
13.11.68 Put into Durban with machinery damage, detained for debt. Seized by South African authorities and sold to Caphelonia Shipping Co, South Africa.
1970 Renamed TIEN TAI, Time Lines Ltd, Panama.
1972 Scrapped Taiwan.

This is a Haverford Victory memorial cover I purchased on Ebay.

This entry was posted in Personal and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to SS Haverford Victory

  1. Al Berutti says:

    Hello Craig:
    I sailed as a soldier to Korea in October 1946 on the Haverford Victory. That picture of the ship in San Francisco in September fits in nicely. It probably sailed down to Fort Stoneman, CA, near Okland to pick us up. We had extremely long trip (21 days) to avoid a bad cyclone on the way. In Korea we heard rumors that the ship broke in half on the way back. Your data proves they were false.
    Is your dad still around? I’m 86 and still hanging on.
    Best regards. Al

  2. Craig Harris says:

    Hello Al,

    Thanks for writing. My father passed away in 1984. He had heard that the ship was laid up in the Mothball Fleet in Suisun Bay. His rumor was incorrect also. He told me a story about his ship sailing through a storm and the radio antenna breaking. He had to climb the mast in the storm to repair the antenna. He said it was the scariest thing he had ever done. It was quite probably on your trip.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *